Setting Aperature

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
When I shoot in A mode (new to me) will I visibly see the difference in the blurred backgrounds on the back of the view screen as I change aperature on camera in different shots? I'm trying it now, and I don't see any difference. I'm very frustrated trying to understand how this works.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    No, you won't see it until you review it or download it.
    Click your photo and then go to review photos.
    You can tell there if you've got the photo effect you're looking for.
    If not, try try again!
  • edited January 2013
    gabby648,
    I would like to add too cathy's comment and give you some more advice.
    Aperture is the size of the hole. The smaller the number bigger the hole; the bigger the number smaller the hole.

The technical term for blurred background is known as Bokeh. To obtain this you need a smaller number known as an f stop.

So just as an experiment you could set up four or five small objects at an angle and a few inches apart. Set you camera to the lowest number, focus on the first object and take a shot. Do the same at a higher number like f/16 or f/22. By comparing the two shots you will see that the objects appear all in focus in the second shot.

This is just to show you the difference between apertures and how it works.
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    I was frustrated too. You have to put the aperture really open, then you have to be really close, other wise it does not work at all.