Speedlite

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi to you all,
I just got myself a YN560-II speedlite and when I put it on the D3100 the internal flash keeps popping up. I know this should not happen. I haven't changed settings on the camera and it is in auto mode. What settings should the camera be on?
Thanks,
Clive

Comments

• The pop up should not activate in any of the pro modes (P,S,A,M) or the no flash mode.
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Hi clive. You need to use other modes, for example p-mode. In auto the camera recognizes the pop-up flash. Personally I use aperture/manual with flash.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks guys, I thought I was doing something wrong. So what is the best mode to take quick photos with the speedlite, like at a dark party with people dancing and also standing round the bar (can't see camera to keep changing settings)? I took some photos with pop up flash in auto, but the pop up flash would not work. I thought maybe it was too dark and that is why got myself the speedlite.
    Clive
  • edited January 2013
    At a bar get a diffuser (that plastic piece to soften the flash a little) and just shoot manual. Set the shutter speed to 200 so you can stop movement and just control aperture (F number). I don't know if auto ISO is ok on this, so give it a try too. The speedlite really makes things easier!
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks kravattisolmu, I will try this out. Thanks for your help.
    Clive
  • edited January 2013
    Clive, when shooting in low light conditions (at a party/wedding reception disco lights and all that jazz) you need to catch as much ambient light as possible. This will put a lot of creativity into your shots. Kravattisolmu has given you some excellent pointers. All I would add that is you try stepping the shutter speed down to 1/16 or even 1/8th of a second. This will control the amount of ambient light,
    and the action is stopped by the flash so set the power of the flash accordingly (maybe 8th power). I would set the ISO around 400-800 but try not to go too high. Put in manual and set a low/mid aperture around f/5.6 - f/8.
    This should be enough to let the ambient light in. If not, I would decrease the shutter speed, but it all depends on how bright it is.
    The flash will light your subject and stop the motion, so adjust this accordingly and try not to go to high and over expose.
    Regards