Settings for Snow Scenes

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi, can anyone please tell me the best settings for taking snow scene photos in bright sunlight and cloudy conditions. Thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I'm struggling with snow scenes as well. Most of the articles I've read say to increase exposure by +1 or +2 but I still don't get a good color sky; it's very grey or too dark. Also I'm not sure when you say expose +2 does that mean expose two more stops (i.e .0.3 0.7) or just go straight to +2.

I've been very disappointed with my snow shots.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't know a thing about taking pictures in snow, however
    here's what my cheater book says about photographing in snow.
    The book is Digital SLR Settings & Shortcuts for Dummies by Doug Sahlin.

Metering Mode: Evaluative
    Drive Mode: Single Shot
    Shooting Mode: Aperture Priority
    Aperture: f/7.1 to f/16
    ISO Setting: 100 - 800
    Focus Mode: Single Shot
    Auto-Focus Point: Single auto-focus point
    Focal Length: 28mm - 85mm
    Image Stabilization: On

Notes:
    If the snow looks blue, switch to the cloudy white balance setting or manually tune the white balance.

If the scene looks darker in the image than it really is then the snow is tricking the camera into thinking the scene should be darker. Use exposure compensation to to increase the exposure.

Usually the settings in this book get me in the ballpark if I don't know how to shoot a given scene.
  • edited January 2013
    This book sounds like it needs to be on my to buy list. Thanks for info.

Karen
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the comments. I think that I may have been a bit premature in asking my original question. I realized, after posting, that I could just use the same settings I used on my Kodak Easyshare Z612 when taking photos in snow last year, which turned out ok. However, I was still a little apprehensive about taking my Nikon D3100 to Austria so I ended up taking the Z612 instead and once again I was pleased with the results. The settings I used were:
    Shooting Mode: Aperture Priority
    Aperture: f/8 (smallest available)
    ISO setting: 100
    White Balance: Daylight

I then adjusted the exposure compensation until the scene through the viewfinder looked natural. Sorry, but I don't know how to post photos that can be viewed by everyone otherwise I would do so in order for you all to see the results.