Recomposing Shots

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
While researching focus and AF Area mode I found someone writing the following

"Put the auto focus point where you want on the subject, and hold the shutter button half way down to achieve focus. While holding the button half way down, you recompose the shot as you want. The focus will remain locked. You then take the photo. The focus and the composition will then be as you want them."

could someone further elaborate what this means? Also, please explain in detail with an example how this is done.

Many thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Anyone want to share?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi learner, I believe that paragraph was taken from one of my posts but I may be wrong. :)
    To recompose means before you press the shutter you ask yourself is that the shot I want?
    I will elaborate. Let's say you had the shot in your viewfinder and there was not a focal point on the area you want to be sharp. You would move the camera, (not the zoom) put a focal point over the area, half press the shutter, focus, and then move the camera back to where you wanted the original shot.

Regards
  • edited January 2013
    I still did not get the shot. I followed what you said, and I moved the camera back to where I wanted and refocused there. Is there any specific video on this issue that you know of? I searched on youtube and found one but the guy did not show it very practically.
  • edited January 2013
    That's exacactly what you have done, but in your case there was a focal point. This can be the minute little movement off of a focal point. I don't think there are any videos. To recompose is simply to justify the positioning of the camera so the shot you want is in the viewfinder.
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Learner, if you lock in on a focal point, keep your physical distance the same. If you move your body forward or backwards, the focal distance (to the where you locked the focus on) changes.
  • edited January 2013
    Read this:
    http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/using-focus-lock-on-your-digital-camera

I had hard time understanding too, but this helped a lot.