Shooting a Rock Band

edited December 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I will be shooting my husband's band tonight for NYE. I have photographed them in the past and feel that I just get lucky with some good photographs. I find it difficult to find good settings with the extreme light changes that the lights guy creates, and they run and jump around like maniacs! That's what I need to capture! I'm not that experienced with my Nikon D3100 yet, and I really want tonight to be stunning. These pictures will be taken inside and I'll be close to the stage. Thank you!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I shoot bands without flash and so many indoor shows have less than adequate lighting. Without flash, (using a f/1.8) I set the ISO to 1600 and "S" speed priority to 1/160th to stop motion. With the drummer I try to expose for at least 1/200th. I've had to increase the ISO at times to 3200, but the noise becomes apparent. The lighting is the key and 90% of the shows in smaller venues are torture for available light photography, and focusing becomes a whole other issue. It's a challenge, but have fun and be careful. You just might get hooked on learning and doing more each time his band plays. :)