Books for the Nikon D3100

edited December 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I was wondering if anyone knows if the following books are good for the Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Jeff Revell, and David Busch's Nikon D3100 Guide to Digital SLR Photography.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I have the D3100 for dummies book and have found plenty of useful info.
  • edited December 2012
    I have the Snapshots to Great Shots and it's a great book written specifically for the D3100. It's like the instruction manual but bigger and brighter with pictures. Pick one up from Amazon, you won't be sorry.
    Matt
  • edited January 2013

A book I recommend is Nikon D3100 Digital Field Guide, by J.Dennis Thomas, Published by Wiley £15, $19.99 US, $23.99 Canada. I see it is listed with two others recommended.

It has good explanations of all controls, menus, lenses and accessories with diagrams and photos (before and after or to use a function or not use it).

Before jumping on Amazon take a look through the book of your choice in a bookshop. Read several pages and see if it answers your questions on the controls. Compare it with other authors renditions, then buy it.
    Photography is an expensive hobby, so don't be persuaded by a salesman who claims he has the same item you are looking at. The following week he may be selling double glazing.

I would also check with your library for book on Photo techniques. Look for the following Authors: Freeman, Tom Ang, Collins complete photography course / John Garrett & Graeme Harris, Steve Luck, Digital SLR photography: start here! by Will Cheung, Night & low light by Tim Gartside.

Our local library has at least 100 books (some libraries throughout the world may have more) on Photography. Before going into the software books for photography, it's worth checking your local library. You can always scan interesting articles from books borrowed .

Check out styles of famous photographers such as Weegee, Robert Capa, Man Ray, Eve Arnold, and RayBresson on the internet.

I have only had my D3100 just under two years and never had a DSLR before. Forget the auto and presets, jump straight into Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and set to Spot Metering with manual ISO. Then when you are happy give manual exposure a go. Don't be afraid to try, you can always delete. It is not film you are wasting.

Good Shooting.
  • edited January 2013
    I have David Busch's book "Digital Photography for Dummies" and I refer to it often.

The authors of this book have listed hundreds of specific situations and guidelines on how to set the camera. This book is always at arm's length.

The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression, by Bruce Barnbaum is another book I read often. I'll keep reading it until I'm happy with my images.

• edited January 2013
    I would recommend Jim Doty's Digital Photography Exposure for Dummies. It's easy to follow, very informative, an excellent read for a beginner and a great aide memoir for the more advanced.