Macro Lens for Beauty Blogging

edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello all!

I came across this website when I googled best macro lens for Canon T2i.

@moose I'm new to using my Canon T2i (funny because I bought it a year ago). I'm currently a beauty blogger and need to be able to take really good close ups for makeup and beauty products, which the macro setting on the T2i cannot do.

So to get an idea of the pictures I'm wanting to shoot and how up close, here's a link:
http://www.temptalia.com/bobbi-brown-black-pearl-shimmer-lip-gloss-review-photos-swatches#more-36824

On this website I saw that this was recommended for beginners on a budget (totally me):
Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro/Close-Up lens

I plan on coupling it with the kit lens or the very popular Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Is the 50mm lens really necessary or will the Raynox work with the lens my camera came with?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very happy I found this website!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I'd love to know the answer to this too please!
  • edited March 2013
    Hello @jwelling,

Some people use the Raynox DCR 250 2.5x macro lens with the kit lens (18-55mm) set at 55mm and get great results.

If you are just getting into macro photography and you're unsure whether you should invest in a dedicated macro lens ($$$), or you're unable to afford a macro lens, this is the way to go.
  • @beautyandbrute & @jwelling - Yep, the Raynox DCR-250 would be the most 'affordable' way to get extreme close-up shots of beauty products. However, the one issue you may run into is the Raynox has an extremely close focusing distance, like 1" to 2".

While this may seem like a good thing, it can be a little frustrating when it comes to product photography, because if you get too close your shadow will start to cast over the product. In addition to ambient light issues, your built-in flash will also struggle to light the subject effectively.

If you do end up getting the nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8), you might be happy enough with the results that a macro lens/filter wouldn't be necessary. It's extremely sharp and can capture a very shallow depth of field (tiny area in focus), which is ideal for beauty related shots.

Don't forget, you could always crop the photo after the fact to get a tightly framed shot of the product. Best of luck and happy shooting! :)