50mm and 35mm lenses

edited December 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi all,

I've been looking around for advice and can't seem to get many views on it. I recently bought the 50mm f/1.8 g lens for my D3100 and I love it; the portraits are superb.

However, I am also thinking of getting the 35mm mainly for indoor, low light party situations (such as Christmas) where there will be groups of three or more people in frame.

I took the 50mm out last week and someone took a photo of me, the wife and kids and had to step back about four meters to get us all in frame!

I'm looking at the 35mm f/1.8 G, and my question is are they too similar to justify the purchase or should I spend a bit more and get something like the 18-105mm?

I've got the kit lens but it's just not quick enough for indoor use without a flash. With that being said I do have a Nissin di466 which will solve that, but sometimes I need to take pictures quickly without having to put the flash on all the time.

I'm not likely to do landscapes, macros, etc, just nice family shots of the kids playing and people in a party situation.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In my opinion there is no difference other than the focal length. I own both and they produce the same image even in low light situations (f/1.8). Why do you need to keep taking the flash off? It's there for quickness and that's what you need at a party. Normally it's low light and you need flash to expose the shot properly.

Have you considered the 40mm? The 18-105mm is another kit lens. I would save and get another prime. It all depends on how you want to take your photography. If you want candid shots you need a zoom, but for low light situations you want a fixed aperture. I'm sure you are already aware, but they are big bucks.
    Regards
  • edited December 2012
    Cheers for that. I take the flash off just when the camera isn't being used for ease of storage and trying to keep it from getting bashed around. With two kids sometimes things happen quick so being able to have a good lens in low light was important.

I went out and got the 35mm yesterday, and I must admit, I'm glad I did. I know numerically the focal range isn't huge, but indoors for my purposes it makes all the difference. I no longer have to squeeze myself up against a sofa or wall to get both kids in frame!

I still love the 50mm; that will be my go to lens for portraits. As you know the 35mm is more than adequate but you have to get quite close.

Cheers again!