18-55mm Lens

edited November 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I just got a Nikon D3100 and I'm new to photography. I was wondering what the 18-55mm lens can and can't do. I'm currently using the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G lens? I mainly like taking landscape pictures and night pictures.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    The lens is known as a kit lens. It's a basic lens to start you off in the world of DSLR.
    I will give a few pointers so your aware.
    If you like the Auto focus function then any future lens you buy needs to say AF-S.
    F/3.5 is the largest aperture it will go at 18mm and f/5.6 at 55mm. The larger the aperture the more light it will let in, so the smaller the f number the bigger the opening.
    Ideally any lens can take night pictures. It just means you need to increase your shutter speed, depending on what subjects your taking at night?
    Landscapes generally require a nice wide lens, the kit lens is only 18mm. It's ok but not the greatest. It still produces some good images, if you know your exposers and you're not using the scene or auto modes.
    It is a zoom lens but the maximum is 55mm so is not that good if you want to be far away from your subject, like wildlife or macro work.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my first DSLR Canon EOS 550D, and I intend on focusing on portrait photography. I found a very interesting 50mm f/1.8 lens for only over $100 so I thought I'd buy it instead of the standard 18-55mm lens. However, I was told by some that the lens won't work unless I use an adaptor. I couldn't find any information on the web (or maybe I wasn't searching hard enough) and I was hoping I could borrow some of your expertice on this matter. Thank you very much.
  • edited November 2012
    Hello Riddelske, thanks for the help. I was also wondering what settings are good to use for night shooting?
  • edited November 2012
    If it's night shots your interested in then one would assume it would be landscapes? It's hard to give any info as it can vary to what subjects your shooting at night.
    Generally you would be manual mode or if you feel less confident then use the night scene. A tripod is a must.