Vibration Reduction

edited November 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hey guys, I just bought my first DSLR and I'm looking at getting a 55-200mm lens. I've seen them with and without Vibration Reduction and the price difference is quite drastic ($179 compared to $249). Being new to the whole thing, I was hoping someone could explain to me the difference and if it's worth the extra $80 for the VR (I'm a poor college student).

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Hi IslandGirl,

VR stands for vibration reduction and it's important to have a lens that has VR as it'll reduce noise on your shots if you shoot handheld. In my opinion, it is worth investing for a VR lens. If you use tripod, you have option of turning off VR.
  • edited November 2012
    When you click on the camera shutter, you are applying pressure on the camera as a whole thus shaking it. Vibration Reduction is the technology that compensates for this shake. This shake becomes more and more visible when your shutter speed goes down. Long story short, the Vibration Reduction feature is a must have.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks so much for your help guys! I'll definitely be investing the extra money for the Vibration Reduction.