Focusing And Bokeh

edited November 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hey Guys! I just need some help with focusing and Bokeh. This may sound really obvious to you pros, but when wanting to focus on something like a tree, do you just aim the square at the tree? Is it possible to focus on the leaves and leave the bark out of focus while getting it all in the picture? Also, I was wondering if I can focus on multiple objects? For example, say there was a line of street lamps, could you focus one at the front and one at the back and leave the middle one out of focus? I'm using the D3100 kit lens 18-55m and in four weeks I'm buying the 35mm AF G.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    What you're trying to describe is a lot like post processing. With the example of the street lights you could focus on the middle light and the front and back would be out of focus. But to get it how you describe you would need Adobe Photoshop or an equivelant program.
    Try looking at Adobe Elements; it's relatively cheap and a good starting point.
    Try doing some research on aperture and the effects it has when you select different stops. The AE lock button comes in use when you want to get creative; I use it quite regularly.

You will have great fun using the new lens. Get out there and snap away.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    Okay, I wasn't looking into Adobe, but hey I may give it a try. How would I get the affect you were saying with the middle while the front and back are out of focus? Where should I aim to focus on things?
  • edited November 2012
    Photoshop/Elements is a whole new world. To learn to use it you need time and patience. The effect you would need is blur and then select an option called Gaussian blur. You then select the size of the circle you wish to use. You then use it like a brush and blur the bits you want out of focus. That's a simple explanation of how to do it but there are a few in depth parts you still need to do.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks, but that's not what I meant; I meant on the actual camera. You said, ''With the example of the street lights you could focus on the middle light and the front and back would be out of focus.'' How would I do this? When shooting objects where do I focus?
  • edited November 2012
    Your focal point, the middle lamp, is where you want the area to be in focus the most. So your focus point should be over that. The lower the f/stop the better the bokeh will be, but you have to take in consideration the distance between the subject. In all honesty you need to research aperture and how different stops affect the picture. Just research understanding aperture in Google and click the first link.
    Regards.
  • edited July 2013
    Quote: "understanding aperture in Google and click the first link". This is an awesome link @Riddelske. Thank you.