35mm Lens Versus 50mm Lens

edited November 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hey guys, Dan here! I'm just wondering what lens to get; the 35mm or the 50mm? I know the 35mm acts like a 50mm so I'm leaning towards that. If I bought the 50mm what would it be good for and bad for? I like to shoot urban/street photography, landscape, and buildings (the only thing I'm not too keen to shoot is portrait). Any tips or info is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Personally, I use my 50mm/35mm for portraits; I believe that's what they're good at. With that being said, they're great for street photography too. Money wise you cant go wrong with either. I would choose the 50mm over the 35mm for most things (even though I own both). My 35mm is great for portrait work. When I'm out and about I like the 50mm because it's a great all rounder and produces cracking images.
    If I had some extra cash I would look in buying a 17-35mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor. It's big bucks but would suit your needs.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks for the info, but as I said the 35mm acts like a 50mm, and the 50mm acts like a 72mm, so what shall I do? Would I be able to produce nice Bokeh on these lenses?
  • edited November 2012
    Yes, that's correct on DX bodies. I would go for the Nifty Fifty, it's a great all rounder. Both produce fantastic Bokeh.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    I bought the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 today and I love the lens. It has great bokeh. Price was $216 I think.