Flash Casting A Shadow

edited October 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi all,
I'm quite new to photography, and I seem to be having an few issues when using flash. I think the lens is getting in the way when I take pictures in low light with the flash on, as it only illuminates half the scene, as in this picture: http://flic.kr/p/doCVbG

I hope the link works ok.

I'm not sure if it is the lens as it doesn't seem to do it all the time, and certainly not when the camera is being held in landscape.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm probably doing something very silly, but can't seem to work out what it is.

Thank you,
Liz

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Were you using the pop up flash with a lens hood? I heard someone at a wedding had same problem and the photographer said the in camera flash was hitting the lens hood causing a shadow; it was fine without the hood.
  • @Liz_Whit - Yep, the shadow is either the lens, a lens hood or your hand blocking the flash. You mentioned that it doesn't happen when shooting horizontally (landscape). My guess is that a hand, a finger or something else is getting in the way when you're shooting vertically (portrait).
  • edited May 2013
    I have had my D3100 for two years now and I have never had a problem with shadows until yesterday. Every other shot had a shadow at the top of the picture. I am using the pop-up lens without a hood. One shot is good and the next is bad. I tried with both my 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jeremy