Looking To Buy A New Lens and Tips?

edited October 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am starting to learn more about my Nikon D5100. I love to take close ups and portraits of people; they are pretty much the only things I enjoy taking pictures of. I read somewhere that with a lens with lower aperture capability I can take nicer pictures, but I have no clue what types of lenses there are, much less what kind I should get. Also, I like to take pictures with a lot of depth and focus, mostly in bright light but also in dim lit rooms. I'm looking for something that will let me take smooth, bright and still pictures with a lot of color. Thanks!

I currently own the Nikon kit lens. If anyone would like to post tips that would be awesome!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Hi there,
    I would like to recommend two types of lenses, one of which is the least expensive and the other a little bit more expensive. My first choice would be the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G. It's great for portraits and a perfect all rounder. Not getting too technical, but it has a quick AF and has the option to manual focus. This type of lens is known as a prime lens; good glass is what you pay for. This is the least expensive one. It depends where you shop but I paid £164.

The second is the 85mm DX f/3.5 micro. This gives you a bit more in focal length and again it's a prime lens. The price is a little more at £308; the world of DSLR is an expensive hobby. Your camera is as good as the lens your using; the better quality it is the better and clearer the shots will be. Don't fear, there are 3rd party models.

I personally only own one and that's the sigma 70-300mm macro lens (I tend to stick with Nikon). These can be a lot cheaper and even sometimes better. There are a few people on this site that will suggest some good lenses. My suggestions are to personal preference and I feel these would benefit you in the type of photos you would like to take.

Just so you are aware prime lens are set at a fixed focal length. Hope this has helped.