Problem when downloading pictures

edited March 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
Until recently I've had no issues and have taken and downloaded many pictures. Now it will not download the most recent 27 pictures. Can't figure out why...help!

Comments

• Howdy @talcott - Which camera (Nikon, Canon, etc...), computer (Mac or Windows) and memory card (SanDisk, Lexar, etc...) are you using?
  • edited March 2012
    If you are using the Canon utility for downloading your pictures, I have had this problem once or twice. However, most times I click on 'select photos to download' which then displays all your pics as thumbnails.

Use 'File' + 'Select all' and then click on 'Image Download'. I have never had problems with this method whereas, as I said, if I click on 'Download images' straight away then I have had problems. The method I have outlined only takes a few clicks and a few seconds, but has never given me grief.

Of course this only works if you are using a Canon. The other info Moose has requested is useful to try to pinpoint the problem. Regards, PBked
  • edited March 2015
    Hi, I just found this site and joined. I have a Nikon D5200 and have not moved out of auto mode! Hopefully I can get moving on to other modes soon. Anyways, when I try to send pictures in an email they will not send because the files are to large. Any suggestions on how to get these to go through?
  • edited March 2015
    You can do this in one of two ways.

In the camera, when you open an image for review, push the "OK" button, and you will get the review menu. On this menu choose "resize" and you can copy the image to any of several sizes, including rather small JPG form.

Alternatively, and probably more convenient, you can get an image viewing program for the computer which allows either individual resizing or bulk resizing. Images resized in the camera are saved as copies without changing the original.

You can use the View NX2 program that comes with the camera and convert images in that with specific size and folder destinations. This program has many image processing options, some available only for "raw" images (Nikon's NEF file), but it can be rather slow. Copies are automatically renamed, so originals are not lost.

There are a number of other viewing and re-saving programs, some free, that do a good job of reading, resizing, and changing file types. One of the most convenient is a free program called "Irfanview," which is very fast, can read Nikon's NEF files, and does numerous file alterations quickly. Another is "Faststone Image Viewer" which has very good file management options, and also does a very good slide show. These programs allow a file to be modified or written over and warn you when they will overwrite, but you need to be careful not to lose originals.

All of the programs that save JPG files allow some options what compression amounts and algorithms are used, and if you choose well, the image quality will be quite good. The camera's automatic quality choice works pretty well and View NX2 does as well. The others vary greatly, but can be very good.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi, I thought this sight looked informative and hopefully I can get started taking nice pictures with my new Nikon D5200. I have many point and shoot cameras with which I have taken thousands of pictures. So, I am a beginner with A DSLR I believe you say. I have looked at some tutorials on you tube and it gets a bit difficult to follow. I hope I can learn to take pictures not using auto.
  • edited March 2015
    For myself, I think youtube may be less useful than a site you can read at some leisure, or a collection of settings to take off from.

Remember, although there are a lot of controls that can be daunting at first, there are not that many things really being decided. It's more a matter of exactly how, and in what order.

Try to find some tutorials on the basic function of aperture, shutter speed and ISO, and how they interrelate, and experiment a bit. Remember it's digital. You can make thousands of mistakes and erase them all. Find something to photograph, it doesn't matter what, and try doing it in all sorts of different ways.

Keep studying and asking.