Best Lens For Travel Photography

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
Hello Moose! I explored this forum quite alot as well as the Facebook pages and really loved them!
I am looking to buy a Canon T2i or a Canon 60D (depends on the budget left after deciding on the lenses as suggested by you). Looking at an overall budget of around $1000 and want to invest well in the lenses.
I am an amateur and into travel photography (landscape, portrait, macro photography and some zoom). I am looking for as few lenses as possible to avoid changing the lenses frequently. I did go through the forums, and found the below suggestions :
1. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM for portrait
2. Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM for portrait and landscape
3. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for a general all purpose lens
4. Tamron 18-270 for a general all purpose lenses.

However, I am unable to pick the best choices and would like your recommendation. As I told earlier, I would like to keep as few lenses as possible.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi,
    For an all round travel lens the Tamron 18-270mm pzd is hard to beat. The others on your list are good lenses but in terms of size and weight the Tamron wins hands down. It does have its sweet spots and weak spots, but check out lens reviews to find what these are.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi PBked,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I did do some research on this and looks like it is up for competition against the new Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM. Any suggestions on this?
  • edited October 2012
    Hi again
    I don't have experience with the Sigma, but from the reviews, I would say you couldn't go wrong with either of these lenses. All lenses in this zoom category are compromises between zoom factor and optical quality and as long as this is remembered you can't deny their convenience as travel lenses.
    Regards.
  • Thanks alot!!