Is A Power Grip Necessary?

edited October 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried searching, but didn't see it.
Is a power grip a necessity or helpful to have in any way? I am planning an buying an extra lithium battery or two.
Also, I just ordered the D3100 so I don't even have it in my hands yet! I am a total newbie. Is it worth it to buy the D3100 book for dummies, or will I find all of my answers here?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    If you have just taken the leap of faith from a point and shoot and you only know how to be a happy snapper, I would personally buy a decent book. The D3100 for dummies is a good start. I would forget the power/battery grip and just buy a new battery (they're nearly £40-£60 alone for a genuine one). The battery grip is good to have but personally it's not a must have if your just starting out.
    I think the next thing to invest in would be a nice AF-S 50mm prime lens, or a decent zoom.

This site is a good guide to any questions you may have. If it's Moose you want to ask then you will have a long wait, I've not seen him around in a while. ;)

Just remember the manual will teach you a lot about the camera so don't sling that to the side and think it's simple; DSLR is a whole new world for a beginner, so take your time. :)

There is a good bunch of guys/girls on here that will point you in the right direction.

Regards.
  • edited October 2012
    I just bought the Nikon bag (got a great deal at Ritz Camera which is going out of business) that comes with a DVD tutorial on a few cameras including the D3100, so I'll try the video first and then I will grab the book for dummies.
    I appreciate the advice. Thanks!