Lens Issue

edited September 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I just bought a used D3100 from someone on craigslist, and it came with the 18-55mm lens. This is my first DSLR, so I'm only a day old newborn! It also came with the AF 50mm f/1.8D lens and I was excited because I thought I was getting the AF-S 50mmf/1.8G DX lens.

Now I'm stuck with this lens, unless I sell it on craigslist:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2137/AF-NIKKOR-50mm-f%2F1.8D.html

Is there way to get it to fully work correctly with the D3100?
I can connect it to the camera and use it for photos if I manually focus, but the camera requires that I lock the ring at f/22 so I can't get a larger aperture.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Because the lens is built for camera bodies with built in motors it will not work with the D3100 correctly. You can only use it at f/22, but you can still change the aperture using the thumb dial on the camera in manual or aperture modes.
    The 50mm is a great lens and works on the D3100 without the AF.

I just want to add that you need to set the aperture to f/22 on the lens itself then attach it to the camera. The camera will say you need to lock it at f/22. This doesn't mean you can't change the aperture, it just means you will have to do that in camera.
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for the information. I was playing around with it and also found that if I set the lens to f/22 it works alright. However, I'm not sure if I fully understand how changing the aperture in the camera will affect anything. Even if I change the camera setting to f/4, won't the lens stay at f/22, meaning I'll still effectively be shooting at f/22?
  • edited September 2012
    No you can't. A way to test it is to set up a few objects at different distances and set the aperture at the lowest and take a shot. Do the same thing again, this time at f/22. You should be able to see the difference. :)