What is the best lens for up close action?

edited September 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I do a lot of rodeos, bull riding, barrel races and I've been using my 300mm. I'm thinking that's not the bet lens and I would appreciate any suggestions for my D3100. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Hi jojo, me again.
    Your 300mm is perfect for action shots. I need to strongly emphasize the more light you have the better shots you will produce, unless you want to spend 1000's of dollars buying a top notch lens. For general action shots (football game, show jumping, stock car racing etc) you need a good telephoto lens with a fixed low aperture for low light conditions. Those lenses are great for this. The lens you have is more than capable of taking good shots, it's just the low light situations that are an issue. Why don't you pop out to the park and watch a local football game or maybe an outdoor sports center? Pop the lens on and take some shots.

Do you have a Flickr account? Maybe you could post some of your work and we could have a look?

Regards.

• edited September 2012
    I took a few baseball shots today with that particular lens around 6:00 pm and they turned out great. I think it's my lack of experience that shows in some of my rodeo photography.

I do have a Flickr it's Fit Photographer.
  • edited September 2012
    Great news jojo I'm glad you have taken a different edge and moved to another subject. I know how you feel when you're determined to take pictures of a certain subject but lack the knowledge or equipment. I have had the same issues before and I just moved on thinking my equipment is just not made for it. When shooting in low light conditions your up against a hard task if you've not got fast lens/experience in shooting those shots.
    Did you post them to flickr? I will have a look.

Was the game indoors or at the park? You have the experience so don't knock your abilities just yet. It takes time, patience and lots and lots of shots to get it right. When you get a minute sit down and look at the exif data on the Nikon program viewx2 (can't think of exact name). Study the data and see how you took the shot. Always take your subject distance and work on that, not your focal distance. The lens can perform differently depending on how far away your subject is.

Glad to hear you've got some great shots.

Regards.
  • edited September 2012
    Sorry jojo but I couldn't find you on Flickr. :( can you put a link on?
    Regards.
  • edited September 2012
    The ball park was outdoor at about 6 pm. There was no wind and the lighting was great.
  • edited September 2012
  • edited October 2012
    So when you say low light issues Riddelske, would you consider a stadium with the stadium lights a low light situation?