Photographic Site/Subject Analysis

edited September 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hello everyone,

I have a project for a university to work on which consists of doing a photographic site/subject analysis. It is about taking several photos about the same composition and make a collage/montage out of it. My lecturer talked about the tilt-shift option that may be incorporated in the camera in some cases. I would like to know if this is an built-in option or if it is it a technique? I've already seen that it can be done with Adobe or with lenses but are there any other ways to do it? The thing is that I need to avoid making any editing/retouching on the photo. I have a Nikon D3100 with the basic 18-55mm lens. Please advise.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Hi there,
    As you stated tilt shift can only be used with TS lens or sometimes known as PC lens. Editing software can be used, however this technique does not allow the recovery of lost resolution in the more distant areas of the subject, or the recovery of lost depth of field due to the angle of the film/sensor plane to the subject. If you can not use editing software then you may find it difficult.

There is an option in the D3100 to do tilt shift, but this would mean editing the image in the camera.

The editing screen is second to the last tab I think on the left. Take a picture, hit the menu button and tab down. Then select the option for picture control (I think or along the lines of).

I have personally never used it, but have a go and see what you think.

Hope this helps.