What are the Lens that Will work with my D3100

edited September 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am new in the World of photography and this is my first professional camera. I bought the body only and then I bought the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX and I love it. I can finally get the blur background that I always wanted. I am right now focusing on portraits.

I returned the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and I got the 35mm. Not because the 50mm was bad, but because the 35mm offers me a more Portrait/General use for my first lens. I think I will get my self a 50mm later, maybe the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras or the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX (I love the switch MA/M).

I have seems tons of lens for Nikon cameras (some of then very old) at very good prices, but those lens are probably are pre-digital photography.

Will these lenses will work with my camera? I don’t care a lot about auto focus (it's nice but I think I like the freedom of focusing on the subject myself) but for this digital camera do I have to stay with lens made for digital cameras?

What good value lenses are out there other that the Nikkor lenses (when I say value I don’t mean cheap but Price/Quality)?

Thanks, Ruben.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Ruben I would refer to the manual. In the back somewhere is a list of the lenses you can use. The 35mm and 50mm are fabulous; great for portraits just as you found. For the focus it's ones personal preference. I like the AF-S just because it saves time and if your subject is moving or your finding it difficult to focus then it's always there. I do use manual when I feel I need it.

In reply to your question second hand lens are good if you can trust the seller or at least look and try before you buy. I personally have not made that leap yet just because most lenses I find second hand are nearly the same price as new. Im from the UK and I find buying imports are the way. The only downfall if you want an instruction manual in your language of choice you will need to use the exchange program Nikon provides if you go for one of their products. If budget is an issue then try looking at Tamron/Sigma. They provide a good range and I also feel the quality is better. To what ones it's your choice zoom/prime/telephoto etc. They are all pretty good.

All the best.

• edited September 2012
    I am very happy with my AF-S; they are a good value. It also has the Ma/M switch which is very practical. I got Auto F, but I can change quickly to Manual. May be the right starting price and level of quality for a beginner. I need to take a look to the manual, it is just so long. :(
  • edited December 2012
    FX lens's are for full frame cameras. Our D3100 cameras use DX lenses that are designed for what's called a crop sensor. I have read that if you use an FX lens you will have a black ring around the edge of your image. The FX body cameras have a setting to allow the use of our DX lenses.