Macro lense

edited August 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
What do I need to look for in regards to macro lenses? I would like to make a macro lens my next lens, but with so many variations what do I need to look for? I would like to be a reasonable distance away from the subject. What is considered a good low (ish) budget lens?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Save money and get the Raynox adapter that Moose talks about often. He does a review of it somehere around here.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi,

I ordered a Raynox DCR 250 from eBay a month ago but it never got delivered. A friend of mine suggested that it happened for good, because I have now received the refund and can go for a dedicated macro lens this Christmas.

My budget is $350-$400. I would mostly be photographing flowers, insects, bugs, small objects etc. Also, most importantly, I have a small baby and I can never get enough of photographing her. Indoor photos of her with an 18-55mm has never been satisfactory. I was also planning to buy a 50mm prime lens after reading so many positive recommendations here on this forum.
    Now, if I invest in any macro lens with the above mentioned budget, which one should that be? Also, would this macro lens somehow do the work that Raynox DCR 250 and Nikon 50mm prime lens would have done?

Regards,
    Sharad
  • edited November 2012
    The 50mm lens is for portraits and general everyday shooting. If you're enthusiastic and really want to take photography to the next level, then I would seriously consider getting a Nikon Micro Nikkor 60mm or even the 85mm.
    They would do both jobs for what you want. As I said once before, it's the lens that makes the picture not the camera. I own a D3100 with a lens that's three times the price.

If you can get the Raynox from another supplier it would be the cheaper option. I recommend getting the 50mm for general portraits and everyday shooting, but if you want to get into macro then I suggest you look into getting one of the lenses I suggested. By all means look into getting either a Sigma or a Tamron; they may offer a cheaper versions.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks, but those Nikon lenses you suggested cost at least $700 here in Sydney and I can't afford them. Could you specify which lenses from Sigma and Tamron you are referring to so that I can price check and eventually buy one?
    Regards,
    Sharad
  • edited November 2012
    Sharad,
    Well I was expecting that would be the answer, and I agree, they do jump in price but the quality is what you pay for. At the moment I'm saving for a telephoto lens which is £1400. I'm a little ways off yet, but patience will pay off.
    Personally I can't recommend any of the third party lenses as I'm not a big fan, but I have heard good reviews.
    If I may pass this one to someone else I'm sure they can find one within budget.
    The only one I've heard of which may be good for you is the Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Macro lens. It's a little noisy but I'm sure that won't be an issue (I believe it's the AF that makes a noise). It also has a macro switch which will enable you to do close up photography.
    I'm sure there must be someone on here that may guide you on this.
    Regards.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me butting in, I am new to the forum. I have used macro tubes, but now I have a 105mm and the extension tubes work really well also. They are reasonable price wise and it will give you a chance to see if macro is the way you want to go while saving for a macro lens that you can afford later.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi nikki,
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great contribution. It's nice to see someone adding their knowledge. I didn't think of those because personally I don't use them.
    The 105mm is amazing don't you think?
    Regards
  • edited November 2012
    Hello Riddelske, thanks for the welcome. I have used the tubes and I like them. They got me started into macro until I could afford to buy a lens. I do think the 105mm is amazing and great for other things as well. It has nice depth of field and bokeh.

However, I do think my D3100 just might be a lemon. I don't seem to get the results I am after, so I dropped by to see what people think. From the forum I see there are many people that say try this, that, or the other. I do what they say but my photos are never as sharp as they should be.