Camera clicking

edited November 2017 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi when I turn my camera on it clicks 4 times . I have changed lens to 2 others 50mm and 18-55 and I don't get this problem so i gather the problem is with my 55-200 lens. My question is will it damage my camera if i continue to use it as it appears to be taking photos, only just tried it indoors but seems fine . Don't want to use it if it's going to cause problems with my camera .

Comments

• I would first try turning off VR, and then turning off AF, at the lens, to see if that makes any difference.

I doubt it will damage the camera, as the camera is designed to handle jammed and inoperative lenses, and the mechanisms in this case are all inside the lens, so any mechanical problem will not be transmitted into the camera.
  • Hi thanks for the reply. I have just tried this and it is still clicking its not clicking with my other two lenses ,just this one .
  • can i just add that when i am looking through the viewfinder on turning the camera on the clicking is making what I am focusing on also jump up and down.
  • The jumping image in the viewfinder sounds very much like a VR (or whatever other manufacturers use as their initials for vibration control). VR often causes images to jump in the viewfinder. If this is happening even with vibration control off, I'd suspect that there's a problem with the lens. But before getting too bothered I'd turn off the VR while the camera is still on, then turn the camera off, and then try turning the camera back on with the VR still off.

It may also depend on how much vibration the lens is trying to compensate for, and I would not be surprised if it's more noticeable indoors where light is low and shutter speeds correspondingly slow.