Newborn Settings

edited May 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi Everyone,
I could really use some help with my new 60D. I am doing a newborn shoot indoors in a couple of weeks and was wondering if someone could please recommend the best settings to use? I have tried the flash off symbol on the Mode dial, but I am not happy with the test pictures.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I would love some input also for which lens you suggest to use.
  • edited February 2016
    Hi @OPB75 and @VANESSA1877,
    Ideally for indoor shots without flash you need a fast lens something like the 'nifty 50' which has an f/1.8 aperture. However, if you only have the 18-55mm kit lens, all is not lost with some forethought.
    Position the newborn close to an external window to take advantage of the natural light. If you notice shadows, ask someone to hold a white card or starched pillowcase to throw light back onto baby.
    Use the 18mm end of your lens and choose Av (aperture priority) set to f/3.5, which is the maximum aperture you can use and one that will give you sufficient depth of field.
    Set your ISO to Auto and leave White balance on Auto. With the lens IS on you should be able to handhold these shots. Choose Portrait as your picture style (don't confuse this with the portrait setting on the mode dial).
    If baby is to be held, ask the holder to stand by the window but slightly turned away from it, so that baby receives most of the light. If the window does not have lace curtains, drape some over it as this will help to soften the light.
    If you have access to a photo editing program or the DPP software which came with your camera use it in post to crop and touch up your pictures (almost all baby pictures are manipulated in some way).
    Good luck and remember that with digital you can take as many pictures as you want and only use the best results.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited February 2016
    Hi again,
    I attempted to edit my comment and was unable to do so. I wanted to mention that you should select the center focus point and try to focus on baby's eyes even if they are closed
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited April 2016
    I have a 50mm f/1.4, will that work?
  • Yes it will, but depth of field will be more limited so be aware when setting up your shot.