Not reading images

edited December 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5200 Forum
So, my boyfriend just purchased a D5200 for me for my birthday. I previously had a D3000, so I'm pretty familiar with the operating system and what not. I went ahead and fired up my camera and attached my new lens, which he also gave me as a birthday present (Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye).

I made sure I had the camera in manual, as this lens will not work on my camera on automatic. When I go to take a picture, it will take it, but when I go to review the picture, it is nothing but an all black screen. Is there something I'm missing here, like a step or something? I know it's a little bit more complicated of a camera, but it's not too much different from the D3000. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Do you think it's just a glitch, or a faulty lens or camera? Or am I completely out to lunch with this thing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited December 2015
    If I read the description right, first of all, nice boyfriend, and second of all, I believe that lens is chipped (i.e. it has electronics in it), which means that even if it is manual focus, it should meter with your camera in all modes. A truly manual lens will work only in manual mode, and return an error message "lens not mounted" in all others. An auto focus lens with an aperture ring which is not locked into its minimum setting will return an error message also.

I suggest that first of all you try setting the camera to one of the auto exposure modes, such as "P" or "A" and try again shooting. If you do not get an error message that says "lens not mounted", then it should work.

If it still does not work, then there is likely something wrong either with the lens or the camera, which needs to be addressed. It would help if you go to the Playback menu, find the "Playback Options" entry, and enable the option called "overview". When reviewing an image in the camera, you can use the up/down arrows to toggle from one review option to another. The overview will tell you what settings any shot was made at, and give you a histogram that indicates its exposure. When a shot goes wrong, it's very good to know what the settings were.