Indoor Pictures

edited March 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just bought a Nikon 50mm AF-S 1.8 lens. I have practiced a few shots with it and used my daughter as a tester.

I am finding that I am having a hard time getting indoor pictures that are bright enough. I followed the cheat sheet for indoor pictures and they just are not coming out bright enough.

Is there a certain setting they should be at? It's a hit and miss for me on this. This lens is challenging me!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    If the subject is too dark, you need more exposure either by disobeying the meter or changing the metering pattern to favor the subject.

If you are using matrix metering, try switching to center-weighted. That will bias exposure more toward the subject you're aiming at, at the expense of background elements that may be bright enough to fool the meter.

If that is not enough, try simply disobeying the meter and slowing down the shutter speed a little more.

It may also help to find a more direct source of light for the subject. It's hard sometimes to get a good exposure on a face if the light is too indirect. Oblique lighting can make for a dramatic portrait when done right, but exposure is tricky. See if you can get a diffuse overall light that does not cast too much shadow.

• Hey @ctoldo12 - If you're following the cheat cards, the setup instructions will walk you through adjusting the exposure if the subject comes out too dark. The setup instructions are right after the initial settings. Follow those steps and it should allow you to increase the exposure. As always, feel free to email me at support "at" cameratips.com if you're running into issues getting the exposure right. If possible, please attach some example photos so I can take a look at the image data and see which settings need to be adjusted. All the best!