Problems with manual override focus

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
As you guys probably know, the 50mm f/1.8g lens allows me to choose between manual focus or auto focus with manual override. If I set the lens to autofocus mode, the camera focuses automatically whenever I press the shutter release button halfway. What's the point of the manual override if the camera will still try to focus when I press down on the shutter button? That's the part I don't get. I looked for an explanation in the manual and looked for some way to navigate around this problem but I couldn't find it. I would really appreciate it if someone here would explain to me how this works.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    First of all, I know this is a post from like six months ago. I have an answer now, and thought I'd go ahead and give it. ;)
    Second, I'm not positive I understand what you're asking, but I'll try to answer it as best I can.

The manual override is for if you use autofocus and don't like what it's focusing on.

If you manual focus, you'll have to lock the focus so that it doesn't override your focus. To do that you press down on the button on the back of the camera next to the viewfinder, labeled "AE-L AF-L". It is also the button you use to protect images.

Hope that answers your question!