D3200 with studio bowens lights

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hey,

I am a newborn baby photographer and using just natural light for my subjects. My daughter's nursery has requested I do their christmas photos, but the room I will be using is not very bright. I have borrowed esprite digital 1000dx studio lights with a sync. While testing, my problem is the pictures are overexposed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Hey @bubblegum - Do you have any samples I can look at? Feel free to link to an online gallery somewhere (Flickr, Facebook, etc...). If I can see an example shot, I'll take a look at the EXIF info and see if anything stands out. All the best!
  • edited November 2013
    Here is a test shot; as you can see its blown out. What setting should I change?

Thanks, Bubblegum
  • Hey @bubblegum - Busy with the Thanksgiving holiday...just saw your message. Will take a look at the image and get back to you. All the best!
  • Hey @bubblegum - I took a look at the EXIF info for the photo and one thing that stands out is the ISO. For that particular shot it was set to 720, which is only possible with auto ISO enabled. When using studio strobes, it's always best to set your ISO manually (start with 100) rather than letting the camera choose it for you.

Additionally, with studio strobes, I would shoot in Manual mode rather than Aperture priority. Set your aperture fixed to f/2.8 like you had it in the example shot, and then increased the shutter speed until you get a nice exposure using the strobes.

That should get you going in the right direction. All the best! :)