Settings for photos

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and looking forward to learning a lot from your questions and answers. I purchased a D5100 about 9 months ago and I'm still learning. I read a lot and purchased D5100 for dummies, which help a lot. I am still confused about the settings I use to produce 8x10 photos, aspect ratio and pixal count. Also, what printer and printing paper would you recommend? Happy to be aboard, thanks

Comments

• Hey @lensman1 - If you're looking to print 8x10 photos, the original image will have to be cropped. I prefer to do this using a program like Lightroom, but you can do it with a free program like Google Picasa. This will allow you to control the exact area that gets cropped off.

As for your image quality settings, RAW is best, but sometimes not practical...especially if you don't spend much time editing your images. Stick to JPEG Fine if you don't want to mess around with RAW. If you have enough space on your memory card and hard drive, you could also do RAW+JPEG which will save both a RAW and a JPEG version of the image.

As for printing, I don't do any of my own prints...I leave that to the professionals. However, I have heard good things about Epson printers, especially for photographic prints. All the best!
  • edited November 2013
    Moose thanks for the imfo. I just want to print larger than 4x6; doesn't have to be 8x10, but 8x11 or larger. I have the camera at jpeg fine format large.

Jim Berry Lensman