Compatability of lenses - EOS SLR to EOS DSLR

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I recently purchased a T2i, and it came with the standard 55mm lens. My uncle (due to an unfortunate theft) has a Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro lens that he used on his old EOS Rebel (was not a digital camera). I tried it out on mine, not expecting it to fit, but it did. I have the following questions...

1. Does this old "film" lens work with a digital camera?

2. Am I damaging my camera using it?

3. When I tried to snap a few shots to test it, it would focus no problem, but when I went to preview the picture, I was only able to see one. Every other pic says "Err 1 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts." Any thoughts about this? I did clean the contacts with an alcohol swab, and it didn't help.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi
    I know that this does not solve your problem, but I have just spent an hour surfing for a solution. It seems that many have experienced exactly the same problem as yours when using this lens on a T2i. Unfortunately, no one appears to be offering a solution.
    Some lenses carry 'chips' that can be re-calibrated to fix compatability issues, but I can find no information on this (not even from Sigma).
    I don't think you would damage your camera with using it, but with Err 1 cropping up all the time, it is not really worth the hassle is it?
    Personally, the T2i is a great camera and I think it is worth considering the purchase of a modern lens which is designed for digital. There are many posts on this forum with suggestions from Moose for suitable lenses.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help
    Regards
    PBked
  • PBked,

Thank you for your response. As my wife and I are both new to higher level photography, we were excited to get another lens. However, since I am starting to agree with you that it may not be worth it, I think I will start the search for some inexpensive but good quality alternatives. Thanks so much for your help!

John