Focusing with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
Is this the "nifty fifty" you talk about? I am having trouble when trying to use it for macro shots. When I get close to an object, it won't autofocus. If I switch it to manual focus, I have to back up and lose the close-up detail I'm looking for. Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Also, can I use this lens for portraits (blurring the background)?

Comments

• Howdy @deanna4j - Yes, the "nifty fifty" nickname refers to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. As for your focus troubles, this particular lens has a minimum focusing distance of 1' 6" (1.5 feet). That means your subject has to be outside that distance in order to achieve proper focus.

In order to get tighter framing when shooting small subjects, you can attach a Macro lens converter like the Raynox DCR-250 (see here) to your current lens or purchase a dedicated macro lens like the Canon 60mm f/2.8 (see here).

As for blurring the background behind your subject, just enable Aperture priority (Av on the mode dial) and select the lowest available aperture f-number. With the "nifty fifty", you'll be able to shoot at f/1.8. Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)