Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Compatability of lenses - EOS SLR to EOS DSLR

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I recently purchased a T2i, and it came with the standard 55mm lens. My uncle (due to an unfortunate theft) has a Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro lens that he used on his old EOS Rebel (was not a digital camera). I tried it out on mine, not expecting it to fit, but it did. I have the following questions...

1. Does this old "film" lens work with a digital camera?

2. Am I damaging my camera using it?

3. When I tried to snap a few shots to test it, it would focus no problem, but when I went to preview the picture, I was only able to see one. Every other pic says "Err 1 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts." Any thoughts about this? I did clean the contacts with an alcohol swab, and it didn't help.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi
    I know that this does not solve your problem, but I have just spent an hour surfing for a solution. It seems that many have experienced exactly the same problem as yours when using this lens on a T2i. Unfortunately, no one appears to be offering a solution.
    Some lenses carry 'chips' that can be re-calibrated to fix compatability issues, but I can find no information on this (not even from Sigma).
    I don't think you would damage your camera with using it, but with Err 1 cropping up all the time, it is not really worth the hassle is it?
    Personally, the T2i is a great camera and I think it is worth considering the purchase of a modern lens which is designed for digital. There are many posts on this forum with suggestions from Moose for suitable lenses.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help
    Regards
    PBked
  • PBked,

Thank you for your response. As my wife and I are both new to higher level photography, we were excited to get another lens. However, since I am starting to agree with you that it may not be worth it, I think I will start the search for some inexpensive but good quality alternatives. Thanks so much for your help!

John