Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Close-ups/Portraits of kids with background blurring

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Moose - Thanks for all your tips here. I am new to this forum and am interested in purchasing a new lens to take close up photos of my toddler and baby. I have read through a lot of your responses and was wondering if you could help me with the difference between the Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM vs the EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM for close-ups with background blurring. It seems the price is very similar on Amazon and I am trying to decide which is the better lens to buy. Thanks!

Comments

• I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it is my go to lens for all my photo's of babies, children, seniors, weddings and families. I could not live with out my 50mm! Out of the pro photographers I know they say the 50 mm is the way to go! I almost died a few months ago when I watched it fall to the floor and completely pop apart. I called my husband at work crying! Needless to say I had a replacement for it bought and at my house with in the week! If you want a great lens go with the 50 mm f/1.4 or 1.8!
  • edited July 2012
    I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it is a great lens for DOF set at f1.4.
    As long as you get the subject close and back round farther away the DOF is great with this lens.
  • Thank you both for the advise!