Close-ups/Portraits of kids with background blurring

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Moose - Thanks for all your tips here. I am new to this forum and am interested in purchasing a new lens to take close up photos of my toddler and baby. I have read through a lot of your responses and was wondering if you could help me with the difference between the Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM vs the EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM for close-ups with background blurring. It seems the price is very similar on Amazon and I am trying to decide which is the better lens to buy. Thanks!

Comments

• I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it is my go to lens for all my photo's of babies, children, seniors, weddings and families. I could not live with out my 50mm! Out of the pro photographers I know they say the 50 mm is the way to go! I almost died a few months ago when I watched it fall to the floor and completely pop apart. I called my husband at work crying! Needless to say I had a replacement for it bought and at my house with in the week! If you want a great lens go with the 50 mm f/1.4 or 1.8!
  • edited July 2012
    I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it is a great lens for DOF set at f1.4.
    As long as you get the subject close and back round farther away the DOF is great with this lens.
  • Thank you both for the advise!