Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5300 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Off camera flash

Hello I got nikon sb700 flash for my nikon d5300. But my camera do not has a commander mode. Do anybody know how to setup it?
Is the remote trigger the only solution? And I do not want use it together with built in flash, I mean is there any other way to use it completely off camera without a trigger.
Thank you.

Comments

• You can use a flash off camera with a remote cord, but if you need to trigger it wirelessly you need either a remote trigger for electronic or to use the built-in flash for light triggering, since there is no commander mode. I have not tried this, but you might be able to trigger a remote flash with the built in flash set manually to a low setting that is enough to trigger but not to make too much light. That's a kind of command-mode fudge, but might be worth a try.

I use older flashes that are not entirely TTL compatible, so cannot experiment too much, but I have used a remote cord with good success for macros and the like. If your off camera flash is not too far away, that's a very simple solution. You can get remote cords that completely duplicate the contacts in the shoe, giving you full TTL function off the camera.

I think Yongnuo makes some radio triggering stuff that may not be too expensive, and it might be worth a look.