Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Shutter speed not controlled

edited October 2016 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello experts,
I'm not a beginner but have some basic understanding of photography. I use a Canon 60D camera to take pictures with the 18-135mm lens that came with the camera. Recently I bought a sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens to take portrait photos. This lens is great, but I found a strange issue with it. If I take pictures indoors, with or without flash, the results are great. However when I take any pictures outdoors, on a sunny day, it works fine. The problem is, if I use flash (for filling), the pictures taken is over exposed (almost white). I tried playing with settings to take pictures but same result when using flash. For example I used Av mode with f/1.4 with flash. ISO was A, but the picture is too bright. After struggling for a while I found that when using Av or M mode, even though I set shutter speed to 5000 (because I used f/1.4), the moment I press button half way to focus, camera change shutter speed to 250 (max). After that, I can't increase the shutter speed. For testing purposes I tried the same with my zoom lens (18-135mm), and everything works great with f/3.5, and I can increase the shutter speed to the max possible.

So I'm wondering if there is some limitation when using a sigma prime lens with the 60D or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions or clues!

G

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Have a look at pages 130 and 253 in the manual. Then you'll understand the 1/250 limit

The 60D is a beast, but well worth mastering.

Enjoy!
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks OLDFOTOGRAPHER! I found the info in the manual. However I'm not able to overcome this setting as there are only a few settings available in C Fn menu. How do I take outdoor pictures with flash on and with f/1.4? Do I need a better lens?