Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Lens suggestion

edited June 2016 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose! Love the site, bought a couple of cheat cards, and look forward to your suggestion for me.
I have a Canon 75-300mm and a 50mm f/1.8.
I'm a teacher and my director said there are some extra funds if I'd like to purchase a new lens (I am also in charge of the yearbook and I take all the sports events photos). I think my 75-300mm is great for the outside sports (I do use the Tv setting just about the same as on your cheat cards), I just have trouble with the indoor ones (volleyball and basketball). I also take lots of portraits shots at events and group team pictures. What new lens should I purchase? She's allowing me up to about $500. I was thinking of the 50mm f/1.4. The 50mm lens I feel already forces me back quite a bit for group/team photos, so I don't think I want to be shoved back any further. Will the 50mm f/1.4 be much of a difference from the 50mm f/1.8 I have? Any thoughts or suggestions since I have this "free" money coming?
Thanks!

Comments

• Hey @drewcarb - That's awesome, thanks so much for your support. Great question, so the 50mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 will give you the same exact perspective. The only advantage is the extra bit of light the f/1.4 will give you in low light situations.

As for which lens you should get, it's tough. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to get a good lens for low light action/sports from a distance. The one most entry level sports photographers start with is the 70-200mm f/2.8.

Considering you also shoot events, groups and portraits, I'd probably lean towards the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It looks like it's going for around $550-$600 used on eBay. So you might need to twist the director's arm a bit. :)

This lens is great in low light. If you can position yourself on the baseline/sideline during basketball and volleyball games, you'll be able to get some nice shots.

It doesn't have much zoom, so sitting on the bleachers during a football game won't really work. However, what it lacks in zoom will give you a bit more freedom when shooting events and other candid shots of people close to you.

All the best!
  • Thanks! Appreciate your time. On my way to twist an arm!
  • edited July 2016
    Moose,
    I just purchased your suggested lens: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. I should be receiving it in a week.
    Do you have a cheat card for it? I didn't see it listed.
    If not, would you be willing to create one, or is there one for another lens with enough similarities?

Thanks!
    Drew
  • That's awesome @drewcarb. Congrats! Yeah, the 50mm f/1.8 will be compatible, since they both share a maximum f/1.8 aperture. I went ahead and sent you a complimentary set to say thanks for purchasing two others. All the best!
  • Thanks! You're awesome!