Lens suggestion

edited June 2016 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose! Love the site, bought a couple of cheat cards, and look forward to your suggestion for me.
I have a Canon 75-300mm and a 50mm f/1.8.
I'm a teacher and my director said there are some extra funds if I'd like to purchase a new lens (I am also in charge of the yearbook and I take all the sports events photos). I think my 75-300mm is great for the outside sports (I do use the Tv setting just about the same as on your cheat cards), I just have trouble with the indoor ones (volleyball and basketball). I also take lots of portraits shots at events and group team pictures. What new lens should I purchase? She's allowing me up to about $500. I was thinking of the 50mm f/1.4. The 50mm lens I feel already forces me back quite a bit for group/team photos, so I don't think I want to be shoved back any further. Will the 50mm f/1.4 be much of a difference from the 50mm f/1.8 I have? Any thoughts or suggestions since I have this "free" money coming?
Thanks!

Comments

• Hey @drewcarb - That's awesome, thanks so much for your support. Great question, so the 50mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 will give you the same exact perspective. The only advantage is the extra bit of light the f/1.4 will give you in low light situations.

As for which lens you should get, it's tough. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to get a good lens for low light action/sports from a distance. The one most entry level sports photographers start with is the 70-200mm f/2.8.

Considering you also shoot events, groups and portraits, I'd probably lean towards the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It looks like it's going for around $550-$600 used on eBay. So you might need to twist the director's arm a bit. :)

This lens is great in low light. If you can position yourself on the baseline/sideline during basketball and volleyball games, you'll be able to get some nice shots.

It doesn't have much zoom, so sitting on the bleachers during a football game won't really work. However, what it lacks in zoom will give you a bit more freedom when shooting events and other candid shots of people close to you.

All the best!
  • Thanks! Appreciate your time. On my way to twist an arm!
  • edited July 2016
    Moose,
    I just purchased your suggested lens: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. I should be receiving it in a week.
    Do you have a cheat card for it? I didn't see it listed.
    If not, would you be willing to create one, or is there one for another lens with enough similarities?

Thanks!
    Drew
  • That's awesome @drewcarb. Congrats! Yeah, the 50mm f/1.8 will be compatible, since they both share a maximum f/1.8 aperture. I went ahead and sent you a complimentary set to say thanks for purchasing two others. All the best!
  • Thanks! You're awesome!
  • So glad that I found your website and this feed. I was a hobbyist who has become more of a purpose shooter. I take a ton of sports photos of my teens playing soccer, hockey, baseball and basketball. All have varying locations either indoor low-light or indoor bright lights or outdoors. I am also taking real estate photos. I am purchasing your cheat cards for the 2 starter lenses I have. I would like advice on lenses to choose. I am looking for something that might have a little more zoom than my efs 55-250mm for my outdoor sports and also something that might be able to capture more of an interior room than my EFS 18-.55mm.