Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Landscape lens and filters for my T2i

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a landscape lens for my Canon T2i. I am thinking of purchasing the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, but was wondering if anybody had any other recommendations. Also, does anybody have any filter recommendations for landscape photography?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Howdy @davidmsilver - If you're just getting started with landscape photography, the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is a fantastic choice. The 10-20mm zoom range will really open things up for you, especially when compared to the kit lens. You wouldn't think there's a big difference between 10mm and 18mm, but there definitely is.

The only other entry level landscape lens you might want to consider is the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 (see here). It has a slightly better maximum aperture range, giving slightly faster shutter speeds at lower ISO's when hand holding the T2i at sunrise or sunset. It also has a slightly longer reach (24mm vs 20mm) which gives you a bit more flexibility when framing shots.

As for filters, I would look at getting a circular polarizer and a neutral density filter (both the Tamron and Sigma wide-angle lenses accept 77mm filters).

A circular polarizer will give you more saturation, reduced glare when shooting water, deeper blue skies and more cloud detail. I like the Hoya Pro 1 circular polarizer (see here). This filter has an extra low profile to minimize the effects of vignetting on wide-angle lenses.

A neutral density filter will give you the ability to capture water movement, like waterfalls and silky lakes/oceans. I like the Hoya Pro 1 neutral density filter (see here). The specific one I linked to will cut about 4 stops of light, giving you the ability to achieve slow shutter speeds in bright light.

That should get you going in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks for all the advice! Would you recommend the Canon EF-S 10-22mm over the Sigma? I know its more expensive but is the price difference worth it? I have found some used for around $650 so I wouldn't be paying full retail price.
  • @davidmsilver - The Canon 10-22mm would give you "slightly" sharper images and faster focusing, however, if you're budget is maxed out at $650 you'd be better off with the Tamron or Sigma and a couple specialized filters (polarizer and neutral density)...especially for landscape photography. Just my two cents. Happy shooting! :)
  • Hello! I purchased a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 lens for my Canon T2i and I was wondering what settings you use? Or any other advice? Thanks in advance!