Which are the best lenses for the D5100

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Can anyone let me know which are the best lenses to be used with the D5100? Currently I have the Nikkor 18-55mm VR Kit and Tamron 70-300mm AF Macro (A17n) lens.

Comments

• Howdy @nsdhillon - The "best" lenses are usually determined by the types of subjects, scenes or effects you're trying to capture. For example, there are specific lenses for portraits, landscapes, sports, wildlife, etc... If you can give me an idea of your budget and what you're interested in shooting, I can point you in the right direction. :)
  • edited March 2012
    Hey Moose, Thanks for the quick response. I'm more of a Nature/Landscape photographer, and also love getting macro shots. I also own the Sony NEX 3 camera, but I am much impressed with the results my D5100 can produce. So I would love to know which of the features are best for this in the D5100, best settings and also which lenses will be best for me. Thanks again! Cheers! :)
  • @nsdhillon - What's your ballpark budget for additional lenses?
  • Around $700
  • edited August 2013
    @nsdhillon - For landscapes, you'll want a nice wide-angle lens to capture super wide vistas. With the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G just beyond your budget, the next best alternative would be the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 (see here) or the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (see here).

The difference between starting at 10mm and 18mm (on your kit lens) is huge. You'll be able to capture a much wider field of view, which really adds interest to landscape shots. Of the two lenses mentioned above, the Tamron gives you a longer zoom range and better low light ability when shooting hand-held thanks to the lower maximum apertures (f/3.5-f/4.5). The Sigma on the other hand produces slightly sharper images when compared to the Tamron, although at normal viewing sizes you'd be hard pressed to see a noticeable difference.

As for macro, the Nikon Micro AF-S 40mm f/2.8G (see here) would be an excellent choice. It's an affordable close-up lens with excellent optics and fantastic close range focusing. When coupled with the Sigma wide-angle lens mentioned above, you'd be just a smidge over your $700 budget.

If you can't go over the $700 mark, then take a look at the Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter. This nifty device can clip to the front of your 18-55mm or 70-300mm lens and instantly give you close-up ability.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited August 2013
    Howdy @Caesar! I moved your question into it's own thread and replied to it here. Thanks, Moose :)

P.S. When you want to post a question, just click the large red button towards the top right of this page, labeled 'Start a New Thread'.