Lens for shooting indoor and outdoor fashion

edited August 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
This comment was converted into it's own thread...

@Caesar's Question: Hey Moose! I have a Nikon D5100 and I shoot a lot of fashion photos (runway, clothing, etc...) as well as portraits. I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. What's a better lens for shooting indoor and outdoor fashion shoots? My budget is flexible.

@Moose's Answer: Howdy Caesar! If you have a roomy budget, the Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 (see here) and Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 (see here) are popular "fashion" lenses. Both lenses give you an ideal zoom range for portraits, clothing and runway shots. In addition to the zoom range, you also get a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range which helps make the model "pop" against a silky smooth background.

If you need something a little more affordable, you could go with a prime lens like the 35mm f/1.8G or the 50mm f/1.8G. These lenses are super sharp and work wonders indoors and in low light. The only caveat is that you're fixed at the given focal length, which means no zooming. You'll have to get up and move around to get a composition you;re happy with. If you're in a small or crowded space, it can be quite difficult to get a composition you're happy with.

Hope that makes sense. Happy shooting! :)

Comments

• edited April 2012
    @Moose - You are a godsend! Thank you! I'm looking at the lenses and they look great, but I only have a budget for one of them. Out of the Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 which would you recommend I go for?
  • @Caesar - Ha! You're too kind. :) They're both on par in terms of image quality and performance. The biggest difference between the two is the zoom range. The 17-55mm gives you a wider field of view (17mm versus 24mm), while the 24-70mm gives you a longer zoom reach (70mm versus 55mm).

If you find yourself in situations (with your kit lens) where you feel like you need more zoom (like at a runway show) then the 24-70mm would be the best choice. If you don't find yourself needing the extra reach, then stick with the 17-55mm f/2.8. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Ok great! Off to amazon I go.