Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Replacement of an older 18-55mm IS kit lens

edited October 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have an older 18-55mm IS lens from my Rebel XSi that I am repurposing to be used on my 60D. I don't think I am getting the best results from this older lens from both older IS technology and optics.

I was thinking of purchasing a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS or Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 USM IS. Will I be happy with the results, or until I get into the L lenses is there much difference?

Additionally, I was thinking of getting a 35mm or 50mm prime lens. The 50mm is priced low and I am very nervous of the plastic base. I read failures where the mount broke and removal caused damage to the body.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @rcartier - The older 18-55mm was good on the Rebel Xsi, but it isn't as good on the 60D due to the 18 megapixel count.

I own the 15-85mm Efs which I prefer over the 17-85mm. 2mm does not seem like much at the wide end, but you would be surprised at the difference. It is an excellent lens and just a step below L glass quality.

For indoor shots go for the 35mm...you won't regret it.

Best regards, PBked
  • edited October 2013
    @rcartier - I would recommend the 15-85mm over the 17-85mm. You could also take a look at the 18-135mm if more budget minded. I have heard good things about the STM model of it. I have the non-STM version that came with my 60D and have no complaints.
  • Hey @rcartier - Sorry for the slow response....did you end up upgrading or are you still looking for a lens to replace your old 18-55mm?