Replacement of an older 18-55mm IS kit lens

edited October 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have an older 18-55mm IS lens from my Rebel XSi that I am repurposing to be used on my 60D. I don't think I am getting the best results from this older lens from both older IS technology and optics.

I was thinking of purchasing a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS or Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 USM IS. Will I be happy with the results, or until I get into the L lenses is there much difference?

Additionally, I was thinking of getting a 35mm or 50mm prime lens. The 50mm is priced low and I am very nervous of the plastic base. I read failures where the mount broke and removal caused damage to the body.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @rcartier - The older 18-55mm was good on the Rebel Xsi, but it isn't as good on the 60D due to the 18 megapixel count.

I own the 15-85mm Efs which I prefer over the 17-85mm. 2mm does not seem like much at the wide end, but you would be surprised at the difference. It is an excellent lens and just a step below L glass quality.

For indoor shots go for the 35mm...you won't regret it.

Best regards, PBked
  • edited October 2013
    @rcartier - I would recommend the 15-85mm over the 17-85mm. You could also take a look at the 18-135mm if more budget minded. I have heard good things about the STM model of it. I have the non-STM version that came with my 60D and have no complaints.
  • Hey @rcartier - Sorry for the slow response....did you end up upgrading or are you still looking for a lens to replace your old 18-55mm?