Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Widest Angle vs. Better F stop

edited June 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi, I'm new to posting on the forum. I just got a T2i around April and found this forum a couple of months before I bought my DSLR. It is a very helpful site. I'm looking to buy a new wide angle lens. I was thinking of buying the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM because I can get it cheaper than the others and I wanted to get as wide an angle as possible. I also want to get the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM or the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. So, I guess I have 3 questions. Does the 10-22mm have the widest angle? Is the 16-35mm better than the 17-40mm because of the lower f stop? And, if I get the 16-35mm or 17-40mm, would it replace the 10-22mm or should I keep the 10-22mm because it has such a wide angle?

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hi @CursedMarkOne,

First of all, the Canon 10-22mm is a very nice lens, and yes it's pretty much the widest you can get without getting into the fisheye category or into very expensive lenses.

I own the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, and it's just great. The f/2.8 aperture allows me to use it as my walk-around lens; the one I use most of the time. The wide aperture allows me to shoot indoors without flash to have nice smooth blurry backgrounds; perfect for weddings and social events.17mm on a crop sensor camera is not wide enough for architectural shots though. The 10-22mm is much wider and perfect for taking shots of skyscrapers in New York as you walk the city.

As for the two other lenses you mentioned, I do not have experience with them. There are reviews on the web of those lenses. Many camera stores will rent you a lens for a day or a weekend at a very reasonable price. For instance, in my city, I can rent a $2000 Zeiss lens for $35 for the entire weekend. So I'd say try before you buy. You will be able to make an opinion for yourself.

Cheers,
    Amigo
  • edited June 2013
    Is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens compatible with the Canon T4i?
  • @Dali

Yes it is.
  • edited July 2013
    Here are a few other lenses that may fit what your looking for.

I have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II and have achieved great wide angle shots. Another great lens is the Tamron 17-50mm which you can get with or without VC (vibration compensation).

Happy shooting!