Widest Angle vs. Better F stop

edited June 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi, I'm new to posting on the forum. I just got a T2i around April and found this forum a couple of months before I bought my DSLR. It is a very helpful site. I'm looking to buy a new wide angle lens. I was thinking of buying the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM because I can get it cheaper than the others and I wanted to get as wide an angle as possible. I also want to get the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM or the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. So, I guess I have 3 questions. Does the 10-22mm have the widest angle? Is the 16-35mm better than the 17-40mm because of the lower f stop? And, if I get the 16-35mm or 17-40mm, would it replace the 10-22mm or should I keep the 10-22mm because it has such a wide angle?

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hi @CursedMarkOne,

First of all, the Canon 10-22mm is a very nice lens, and yes it's pretty much the widest you can get without getting into the fisheye category or into very expensive lenses.

I own the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, and it's just great. The f/2.8 aperture allows me to use it as my walk-around lens; the one I use most of the time. The wide aperture allows me to shoot indoors without flash to have nice smooth blurry backgrounds; perfect for weddings and social events.17mm on a crop sensor camera is not wide enough for architectural shots though. The 10-22mm is much wider and perfect for taking shots of skyscrapers in New York as you walk the city.

As for the two other lenses you mentioned, I do not have experience with them. There are reviews on the web of those lenses. Many camera stores will rent you a lens for a day or a weekend at a very reasonable price. For instance, in my city, I can rent a $2000 Zeiss lens for $35 for the entire weekend. So I'd say try before you buy. You will be able to make an opinion for yourself.

Cheers,
    Amigo
  • edited June 2013
    Is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens compatible with the Canon T4i?
  • @Dali

Yes it is.
  • edited July 2013
    Here are a few other lenses that may fit what your looking for.

I have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II and have achieved great wide angle shots. Another great lens is the Tamron 17-50mm which you can get with or without VC (vibration compensation).

Happy shooting!