Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Upgrades for T2i Starter Lenses

edited June 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi! I was wondering what would be the recommended upgrades for the T2i kit lenses (the 18-55mm and 55-250mm)? I would like to have an all-around set of three, including a 50mm prime. Is there a tier to look at, maybe starting at a lower price range and moving up? I was thinking about the Sigma 70-300mm instead of the Canon 55-250mm. I am interested in various photography and want a zoom lens that would possibly double as a macro. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hi @SamyPie,

I use the Nifty Fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II) for portraits. I've used it for taking picture of insects as well, with good results.

I also have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM as my all-around zoom lens. This is the lens that's connected to my camera body 90% of the time. It's wide enough for architecture and landscape. It's absolutely perfect for weddings, and the picture quality is outstanding.

Here's a review:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Of course, sometimes I wish I had a wider lens such as the Canon 10-22mm, and sometimes I wish I had a 200-300mm zoom lens, and sometime in the future I might purchase those. Those are specialty lenses that I would not use too often given the kind of pictures I like to take.