Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Polarized Filter for Landscape Photos

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello, I have Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens and was wondering what is the best polarized filter for it to take landscape photos. I'm sure there are some good ones, and I need experienced advise on which one to take. I have the Canon T2i body if it makes any difference.
Thank you, Konstantin

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Go with a good brand like Hoya. There are cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for. For preference go for a circular polarizing filter. These are made of 2 elements of which the front element rotates to give you a variety of polarizing from light to dark. The price is extra because the 15-85mm has such a large filter thread, but well worth it because it is a cracking good lens.
    Best regards, PBked
  • edited April 2013
    Thank you, PBked, sounds like it is a good one. I just looked it up on the internet and found some good reviews on it. I think I'll order it for my birthday. Your comment was very helpful.
    Thanks again, Konstantin
  • edited May 2013
    Hello PBked, what is the price you were talking about for this filter? I got one, and I was wondering if this is the one. I got it for $65 through E-Bay. There was one for $169, but it had something like 9 elements.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Konstantin
    Yep, sounds like you got the one I was talking about. It is about £45 here in the UK so quite close to what you paid. The $169 is for the real pros only.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited May 2013
    @PBked, thank you very much. I tried to shoot with it and noticed a big difference. It is also good, if you use a flash to photograph something behind a glass; much less blurry rejection.
    One thing I have to get used to is adjusting the camera settings if I shoot with the filter in manual mode. It is a little different from what I got used to without one. It is definitely a great lens for landscape.

Thank you again, Konstantin