Polarized Filter for Landscape Photos

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello, I have Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens and was wondering what is the best polarized filter for it to take landscape photos. I'm sure there are some good ones, and I need experienced advise on which one to take. I have the Canon T2i body if it makes any difference.
Thank you, Konstantin

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Go with a good brand like Hoya. There are cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for. For preference go for a circular polarizing filter. These are made of 2 elements of which the front element rotates to give you a variety of polarizing from light to dark. The price is extra because the 15-85mm has such a large filter thread, but well worth it because it is a cracking good lens.
    Best regards, PBked
  • edited April 2013
    Thank you, PBked, sounds like it is a good one. I just looked it up on the internet and found some good reviews on it. I think I'll order it for my birthday. Your comment was very helpful.
    Thanks again, Konstantin
  • edited May 2013
    Hello PBked, what is the price you were talking about for this filter? I got one, and I was wondering if this is the one. I got it for $65 through E-Bay. There was one for $169, but it had something like 9 elements.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Konstantin
    Yep, sounds like you got the one I was talking about. It is about £45 here in the UK so quite close to what you paid. The $169 is for the real pros only.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited May 2013
    @PBked, thank you very much. I tried to shoot with it and noticed a big difference. It is also good, if you use a flash to photograph something behind a glass; much less blurry rejection.
    One thing I have to get used to is adjusting the camera settings if I shoot with the filter in manual mode. It is a little different from what I got used to without one. It is definitely a great lens for landscape.

Thank you again, Konstantin