Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T3i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best Lens to Use at a Dog Show Envioronment

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I just bought my T3i. I am a complete newbie when it comes to DSLR and photography, so forgive me for what might seem like silly questions to you.

My camera came with two lenses (18-55mm and 75-300mm). First off, in what instances are these lenses best used for?

I am in need of capturing good movement/action shots and also shots of dogs that are probably 20-30 feet away from me. I need to bring the dog in closer to me, maybe with a blurry background. I just want a nice, clear shot of the object, in this case the dog!

This can be indoor or outdoor. Is there a lens you can recommend? Thanks so much!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Howdy @amomisboxers - To answer your first question, the 18-55mm and 75-300mm are both meant to be used outdoors in bright light. If using a tripod, you can also use them in low light when shooting motionless subjects, like a city skyline.

As for low light action, to do it right you need a super telephoto lens to zoom into your subject in addition to a low f/2.8 constant aperture to attain fast shutter speeds in low light while keeping the ISO at a reasonable level.

The low constant f/2.8 aperture also isolates your subject against a blurry background, making them "pop" off the screen or print.

As you might of guessed, low light sports/action is one of the most expensive types of photography. :)

The lens best suited for your needs is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. You don't really need the IS version for what you're shooting. Sigma and Tamron also offer 70-200mm f/2.8 alternatives at half the cost.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)