Best Lens to Use at a Dog Show Envioronment

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I just bought my T3i. I am a complete newbie when it comes to DSLR and photography, so forgive me for what might seem like silly questions to you.

My camera came with two lenses (18-55mm and 75-300mm). First off, in what instances are these lenses best used for?

I am in need of capturing good movement/action shots and also shots of dogs that are probably 20-30 feet away from me. I need to bring the dog in closer to me, maybe with a blurry background. I just want a nice, clear shot of the object, in this case the dog!

This can be indoor or outdoor. Is there a lens you can recommend? Thanks so much!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Howdy @amomisboxers - To answer your first question, the 18-55mm and 75-300mm are both meant to be used outdoors in bright light. If using a tripod, you can also use them in low light when shooting motionless subjects, like a city skyline.

As for low light action, to do it right you need a super telephoto lens to zoom into your subject in addition to a low f/2.8 constant aperture to attain fast shutter speeds in low light while keeping the ISO at a reasonable level.

The low constant f/2.8 aperture also isolates your subject against a blurry background, making them "pop" off the screen or print.

As you might of guessed, low light sports/action is one of the most expensive types of photography. :)

The lens best suited for your needs is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. You don't really need the IS version for what you're shooting. Sigma and Tamron also offer 70-200mm f/2.8 alternatives at half the cost.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)